There are 58 mental health trusts in England. They provide health and social care services for people with mental health problems.

Mental health services can be provided through your GP, other primary care services or through more specialist care. This might include counselling and other psychological therapies, community and family support or general health screening. For example, people experiencing bereavement, depression, stress or anxiety can get help from primary care or informal community support. If they need more involved support they can be referred for specialist care.

More specialist care is normally provided by mental health trusts or local council social services departments. Services range from psychological therapy to very specialist medical and training services for people with severe mental health problems. About two in every 1,000 people need specialist care for conditions such as severe anxiety problems or psychotic illness.

I am a journalist and author. I am a staff writer at the UK edition of WIRED magazine and in 2015 my book, Freedom of Information: A Practical Guide for UK Journalists, was published. I created FOI Directory in 2012.