Errors at Scottish hospitals which have led to patients’ deaths have been revealed for the first time after a Freedom of Information request.¬†

The reports are routinely published in England but this is the first time the Scottish reports have been published after being kept secret for any years.

The Mail Online report:

A horrifying catalogue of serious errors at NHS hospitals in Scotland has come to light, following a Freedom of Information request.

They include a report from NHS Lothian where a patient on oxygen therapy died in an explosion after lighting a cigarette in a hospital toilet.

A case from Ayshire and Arran revealed a patient died after they were stuck in a lift while being transferred to intensive care. The oxygen supply they were receiving and suction equipment ran out during the time they were trapped.

You can read the full story here. 

I am a journalist and author. I am a journalist at the UK edition of WIRED magazine. In 2015, my first book Freedom of Information: A Practical Guide for UK Journalists, was published. My second book Reed Hastings: Building Netflix, was published in March 2020. I created FOI Directory in 2012 and have maintained it in my spare since ever since.