Bungling NHS staff left a sponge inside a patient’s body when they went for a tea break during surgery.

The medical blunder, which took place during keyhole surgery, has been disclosed in a report by NHS Lanarkshire.

The mistake left the unnamed patient in ‘worsening pain’ after the operation and was only resolved when the sponge was removed in a second surgery.

Reported by teh Mail Online. You can read the full story here. 

I am a journalist and author. I am a journalist at the UK edition of WIRED magazine. In 2015, my first book Freedom of Information: A Practical Guide for UK Journalists, was published. My second book Reed Hastings: Building Netflix, was published in March 2020. I created FOI Directory in 2012 and have maintained it in my spare time ever since.